Wednesday, December 5, 2007
11:00 am CST – 12:00 pm CST: Join York University’s Diane Zorn and Sonic Foundry’s Sean Brown as they explore how online, rich-media teaching can be easy and effective. The presentation aims to empower participants to create viable online learning environments that facilitate learning, community, and self-sufficiency for students and instructors with minimal time and energy and maximum results. This presentation concludes with a Q & A period.
- The needs of today’s learners;
- Key technology and distance education trends;
- The top six reasons faculty are choosing to teach online; and
- Pedagogical goals versus technology for its own sake.
Common excuses for not taking advantage of online, rich-media teaching are debunked, including:
- Threats to standards, jobs and quality of faculty;
- The notion that some skills can’t be taught online;
- Overestimates of the time, support and training needed to make online teaching work.
Answers to the following questions will be provided:
- why teach online?
- why embrace rich media?
- can students learn better online?
- is rich media a tool that can drive students to higher-order skills learning?